The month of January was a total bust. I think the only thing that I accomplished was getting the Christmas tree down and the ornaments put away. I won’t go into details, but I will say that my computer caused most of my problems in getting things done! This giveaway is three or four weeks overdue, and I want to sincerely apologize for not being on top of things this last month. So, without further ado…
My Review of Necessary Food by Briana Thomas
I’ve been a Briana Thomas “fan” for over a year now. I love her sense of humor and her recipes, and I deeply admire her devotion to Jesus and the way she seems to have it all together at such a young age.
I know her new cookbook, “Necessary Food”, has been much anticipated by those who follow her blog, and I don’t think there will be any disappointment from her fans.
(NOTE: I paid for my copy of this cookbook with my own money. I have not received money, discounts, or any other compensation for this review. All the opinions are my own, and the giveaway copy is provided by me as well.)
The book itself is lovely. I wasn’t expecting the hard, thick covers with a spiral-bound book; it’s typical for spiral books to have a softcover.
The pages turn easily, and the spiral is a beautiful teal color. It’s also much thicker than I thought it would be, and, according to Briana’s website, it has “nearly 400 recipes”!
Many of the recipes have photos, and they are lovely as well. I’ve noticed that a lot of Trim Healthy Mama food tastes much better than it looks, not just Briana’s, but from the THM cookbook and other websites, too. Making the bland-looking food look good in photos can be quite a challenge, I’m sure, and Briana has done a great job with it!
If you’re familiar with the Briana-Thomas.com website, you know that she can come up with some strange ingredient combinations. If you’ve made some of those recipes, you also know that those strange combinations turn out to be delicious.
Here are some of our family favorites from the cookbook:
- My Favorite Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake (page 16) – this was the first Briana recipe I ever made. Even though my taste buds hadn’t adjusted to the alternative baking ingredients yet, this recipe did not disappoint. It had the same taste and texture as cake – fluffy and moist and… well, cake-like.
- French Toast in a Bowl (page 20) – this is a quick and easy way to satisfy a French-toast craving with no bread!
- Kate’s Spinach Eggs (page 23)
- Parmesan Chicken Tenders (page 48)
- Single-Serve Lasagna in a Bowl (page 60) – lasagna anytime you want it!
- Rice & Beans (page 79) – nobody in my house is a lover of beans. I wasn’t sure about the seasoning combination either, but I’ve learned to trust Briana’s concoctions and made it anyhow. The flavor in these is amazing! It’s really the only way we eat rice and beans now. My husband is a HUGE fan of that Mahatma Yellow Rice in the shiny foil bags. He wasn’t happy that I refused to buy it on THM, but he has deemed this an acceptable substitute. It doesn’t have saffron and isn’t yellow, but the taste is very similar, and I think it’s better than the junk-food version!
- 5-ingredient Buffalo Chicken Salad (page 139) Delicious and it’s a Fuel Pull, too!
- Butter-Pecan Ice Cream (page 220) – Strangely, this is the only one I’ve tried of all of Briana’s Ice cream recipes. I only recently purchased and ice cream maker, and I have a lot of catching up to do!
I wanted to list some of the recipes I was looking forward to trying in the future, but it would be easier to list the ones I might not make because that list would be so much shorter.
Here are a few recipes that I want to try right away:
- Crispy Blueberry Pancakes (page 14)
- Buttery Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole (page 56)
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas (page 61) three words: Mexican…creamy…sriracha
- Mexican Rice Casserole (page 63) a cheesy Mexican dish you can have with rice? Yes please!
- Special Occasion Salad (page 147) – reminds me of the Wendy’s salad I used to love.
- Briana’s Basic Bread (page 158) – I’ve been meaning to try this one for a while
- Sour Cream Cornbread (page 167) – to go with chili, of course. Or maybe the Budget-Friendly Cornbread on the next page…
- Brownie Batter Milkshake (page 185) or Extreme Chocolate Whiteout (page 198) – does anyone remember that Brownie Batter Blizzard from DQ? I was addicted to those for an entire summer once. If they still make them, don’t tell me. I’ll just make these instead.
- Java Chip Freeze (page 189) – coffee and chocolate and milkshake
- All FIVE hot chocolate recipes (pages 203-207) – because I need to see which one is the best. I might need to test them twice, just to be sure.
- Oh, and pretty much everything between pages 217 and 258, a.k.a. – the Ice Cream chapter.
- Peppermint Brownie Cheesecake (page 356) – this one will be the first I try, but all the recipes containing the word cheesecake will be attempted at some point!
- Supreme Pizza Party Dip (page 400)
There is only one Briana recipe that I’ve tried that I wasn’t thrilled with. Just one! It wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t something I loved enough to make again. That’s it.
So, do I think that all Trim Healthy Mama’s would get a lot of value out of owning this cookbook?
In fact, I think that anyone would enjoy these recipes, even if they weren’t following THM.
If you have been wanting this book and haven’t gotten it yet, now’s your chance!
GIVEWAY IS NOW CLOSED! WINNER WILL BE NOTIFIED ON 2/16/2017 AND ANNOUNCED ON 2/17/2017!
Sign up here to enter to win your own copy of Necessary Food by Briana Thomas. If you already subscribe to my email list, you don’t have to do anything, because you are already entered! As stated in this post, if you signed up for my “get back on track” newsletter back in December, you have two entries in the drawing!
GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED! You can still use this form to sign up for Tales of Home updates and AUTOMATICALLY be entered in all future drawings as a subscriber!
Entry period starts today (2/1/17) and ends in two weeks. The last day to enter will be February 15, 2017.
One winner will be selected randomly from all entries.
Want extra entries? After you’ve signed up with your email address, you can do one or all of the following. Each one will earn you one more entry in the drawing!
- Follow me on Twitter – then retweet THIS TWEET. …Following + Retweeting = one extra entry
- Follow me on Facebook – then share THIS POST…. Following + Sharing = one extra entry
- Follow me on Pinterest – then repin THIS PIN….. Following + Repinning = one extra entry
Comment below – what’s your favorite Briana Thomas recipe?
This page may contain affiliate links. They help keep this site up and running, so THANKS for checking them out!
For more information visit our site policies page.